Sunday, September 24, 2006

Six Heroic Degrees of Shark

Heroes

After seeing the pilot presentation for Heroes back in May, I wrote it off as just another tired scifi-themed show. So imagine my surprise when, after seeing the entire pilot, I found myself actually enjoying the show! Who would have guessed? After all, I don't think that I've enjoyed a "regular person becomes a superhero"-themed show since 1981's Greatest American Hero. Anyway... Heroes borrows several pages from the Lost playbook of storytelling, and that's why the show appealed to me. With appealing characters, many mysteries yet to be revealed, and several surprises yet to play out, Heroes is definitely worth a look.

Heroes debuts this Monday (September 25) at 9 on NBC.



Shark

James Woods is a great actor. He really is. And for his first venture into series television, he's picked a great character for himself in Sebastian Stark, a/k/a Shark. However, it just didn't grab me enough to make me want to come back for more. Sorry, Jimmy; I hope that you won't hold it against me - hey, everyone knows that I'm not a big crime-and-procedurals guy. And whatever you do, please don't let it keep you from coming back to Warwick for a visit.

In a nutshell, Sebastian Stark is a loud, outrageous, even theatrical high-priced defense attorney who one day has a change of heart and decides to join "the good guys" by working as a prosecutor for the government. If you like outrageous characters, such as the lead character in House, then you should give Shark a try.

Shark premiered last Thursday at 10 on CBS.



Six Degrees

Six Degrees is a tough show to describe. Bascially, you take the "six degrees of separation" theory, and apply it to a group of New York City residents... residents who are all experiencing lives filled with drama, to varying degrees (no pun intended).

The pilot was okay. Just okay. But, despite my tepid reaction to the first episode, I'm recommending that you come back for more. Why should you come back for more, you may be asking? Well, Six Degrees happens to be a J.J. Abrams-produced show... and Abrams is the man who gave us the reigning champion of must-see dramatic television (the beloved Lost) so I will be giving it another try, and I suggest that you do so as well. On reputation alone, Abrams has earned it.

Six Degrees premiered this past Thursday at 10 on ABC.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bare said...

I've watched bits and pieces of Heroes, but haven't seen Shark or Six Degrees. As unfortunate as it is, I have a new job that requires me to be up at the crack of dawn *sighs* So, I don't get to watch primetime tv much anymore :0(

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home