Saturday, September 24, 2005

Vacation All I Ever Wanted

There are many ways to spend a Friday evening. This past Friday happened to coincide with the last official day of my vacation from work. On an evening filled with such symbolism, most people would choose to head out for the night . Me? I guess that I'm not most people. Instead of an evening out with a friend, I instead made a conscious decision to stay home and watch television. Yes, television (television is life, and life is television; learn it, live it). But this wasn't just any television we're talking about. We're talking about Fall premieres. FOUR Fall premieres on one night: The Ghost Whisperer, Killer Instinct, Three Wishes, and Inconceivable. Four premieres on one night? Damn - turn off the phone, lock the doors, fire up the TiVo, and get the snacks ready.

Four hour-long shows. Which turned out to be four wastes of time. Four hours that I'll never ever be able to get back. Why did they ALL have to be so disappointing? WHY??

The Ghost Whisperer? Perhaps Les Moonves lost a bet. Killer Instinct? Enough with the procedural/forensic dramas! Three Wishes? I'll take just one wish -- and that wish is for UPN to beat NBC in this time slot. Inconceivable? What's really inconceivable is that I made a conscious decision to give up going out so that I could watch this insipid mess.


** ** **

This Just In...

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first cancellation of the season. This dubious honor goes to... Fox's Head Cases. After just two telecasts, Head Cases is no more. Fox will fill the time slot with new episodes of Nanny 911 and Trading Spouses.

** ** **

Flashback

This weekend I did something that I've wanted to do for a long time: I hooked up an old ColecoVision to my television. For those of you too young to remember, ColecoVision was the first of the so-called "advanced" home video-game systems. When the ColecoVision was released in 1982, gamers for the first time were able to bring home faithful adaptations of hit arcade games. The ColecoVision was a HUGE success in the '80s; it even brought down the mighty Atari... which, until the ColecoVision came along, had been the reigning king of the home game systems. Of course, compared to contemporary systems such as the Playstation and XBox, the ColecoVision pales in both visuals and depth of game play; it may even be worthy of the term "antique." But dont try to tell that to die-hard Q-Bert fans (and you know who you are).

So now, I have yet another reason not to leave the house before having to return to work on Monday. To that end... anybody up for some Donkey Kong? If so, you know where to find me...

1 Comments:

Blogger The Catshark said...

So how was that Three Wishes? LOL I actually missed it, forgot to program the ol DVR while I went to see the movie Flight Plan. The pilot of that show was my hometown. I actually know one of the families that was on the show.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home