Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

We're only four days into the 2005-2006 television season, and already I'm being asked which new shows are worth watching, and which are worthy of being completely ignored (for those of you who are new to my life, please be aware that I watch and review just about every new show on the Fall television schedule).

So, here's what I can tell you so far:

DO NOT MISS:

Everybody Hates Chris
How I Met your Mother
My Name is Earl

Invasion
Kitchen Confidential

Invasion is the best of all of the new Lost-inspired shows.


DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME:

The War at Home
Just Legal
The Apprentice: Martha Stewart
Head Cases
Bones

Did you see Martha Stewart??? This show was supposed to have been a spin-off, not an experiment in cloning. Martha Stewart was a carbon-copy of Trump's Apprentice... except that Martha was just a little too nice (a/k/a too boring) for this type of show. And get this: at the end of each show, she writes a personal letter to that week's booted contestant. If just the thought of such an ending gives you a slight feeling of nausea, you're not alone. Stick to daytime, Martha.


A RAGING SENSE OF... INDIFFERENCE:

Supernatural
Surface
Threshold
Prison Break
Out of Practice


These shows were all good. Several were even very-well done. But none of them compelled me to come back for more. Some were different enough (especially Prison Break), but others suffered from predictable plots, stereotypical characters, etc.


THE JURY'S STILL OUT ON:

Reunion

Yeah - I need more time for this one. Plotline was incredibly predictable and went way over the top with the pop-culture references, but the style in which the story is unfolding is interesting. Let me watch a couple of more episodes of this one, and then I'll get back to you.

** ** **

And if this week's season premiere of Lost is still sitting on your DVR/TiVo and you haven't watched it yet, then step away from the computer right now and WATCH IT. Yes, it was that good. Damn - those numbers turn up everywhere.

Also, please tell your friends (who in turn can tell their friends) to watch Arrested Development, now on Monday nights on Fox. Arrested finished in a perilously-bad fifth place (out of six prime-time network shows in that time slot) in its new Monday night home. It was even beaten by The WB. Please allow me to repeat that: The WB!!! If ratings don't pick up VERY soon, we can probably begin planning our "Farewell Arrested Development" party.

Coming soon... E-Ring, Love, Inc., The Ghost Whisperer, Hot Properties, Commander in Chief, Sex, Love and Secrets (is it too soon to predict cancellation for this one?), Related, Close to Home, Criminal Minds, Freddie, Twins, Three Wishes, Killer Instinct, and Inconceivable.


** ** **

Hurts So Good

My recent purchase of a TheraCane seems to be paying off. I've been using it over the past couple of weeks, and my neck and shoulder muscles are staying looser than ever before, giving me the ability to do things that I haven't been able to do in a long time (and, speaking in future tense, things that I haven't been able to do in a long time but hopefully will have the opportunity to do again VERY soon). I'm becoming seriously addicted to this thing.


Now, if I could just get some sleep...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home